Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A dream ruined in one day, and a month in hell

**Sorry for the wall of text, I had to vent about this, it has been on my mind ever since**

I had always had a dream of becoming an OTR driver, ever since I was young, and was ecstatic when Central Refrigerated Service opted to send me to their school, even though I lived in a no hire zone. I left Fort Myers, FL on 12/15/2012 and headed to training in Conley, GA. I enjoyed the drive up in my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, it was fairly trouble-free and I spent a few days exploring before I headed to the motel that Central Refrigerated Service, Inc had provided as part of the training.

I attended class for 2 weeks here in Conley, GA at the Central Refrigerated Terminal before taking a final test and passing, I then parked my vehicle at the terminal and excitedly prepared to board the Greyhound bus to West Valley City, UT (In the SLC Metro Area) to the main headquarters/training grounds.

Here I learned how to drive a truck. My classmates and I were coached on proper shifting, turning, and pretrip inspections, needed to pass the CDL exam. It was about a month here for training, and I passed my CDL. This was at the time the happiest moment of my life, another step towards a dream come true for me.

I was sent out on the road with a trainer named Danny, who was a nice guy, yes, I had difficulties at first but I picked it up towards the end of the 30 day training period, and everything clicked. I passed the road test on 1/31/2013 and was assigned my own truck. I left on my first load and although I ran into a few bumps along the road, I loved every moment of the job. I was making good money and enjoying the freedom this job brought with it.

This all changed on 03/10/2013, I was near Grand Island, NE on I-80 headed Westbound towards Ogden, UT with a load of chocolate on. At the time there were a few weather issues, blizzard conditions which made it impossible to see 50 ft in front of my rig. I pulled off that night onto the get-on ramp, since there were no other places to park. There were several rigs lined up on the get-on ramp, so I decided to wait out the poor weather. About 4 hours later, conditions still poor, I was fast asleep in bed and started getting calls from night dispatch, can't remember an exact name. I was asked why the truck wasn't moving because I had plenty of hours to drive, and at the time I replied "The conditions are poor, I do not feel comfortable driving" I was rudely informed by the dispatch rep that if I did not get this load out on time I would be terminated and the truck disabled remotely.

The conditions were blowing snow, high winds and poor visibility, -10 degrees fahrenheit and roads were covered in hard pack snow and ice. I decided to try and clear the storm and try to save my job, so after pretripping the truck and draining my air tanks, waiting 20 minutes for them to refill, I headed out at a slow, steady pace of 10 miles per hour, with the emergency flashers on. I figured at the time since I had 7 hours left to drive I could clear the hazard and get on with my load. I made it approximately 3 miles down the road, where apparently several hours before, quite a few trucks had jackknifed and gone off the road. There was stopped traffic behind the wrecks.

Due to conditions I did not see the traffic stopped until the last minute, and tried to pump my brakes to slow/stop the truck. I heard a loud POP and my tractor brakes stopped working, I had no air pressure. The valve locked up and threw my truck into a forward skid. I attempted to steer the truck around the obstruction but I was unsuccessful and ended up plowing into the back of  a stopped vehicle. The vehicle was parked in the middle of 2 other vehicles, and that vehicle was pushed through the other 2 causing sideswipe damage to them. A minivan plowed into the rear end of my trailer doing almost 40 mph, thankfully no one was hurt, but all in the van were taken to the ER.

The vehicle I hit was a total loss but there was only minor cosmetic damage to the truck itself. I followed the company's procedure in reporting an accident and called them the moment it happened. I took several pictures of the scene and collected insurance information and made sure everyone involve was OK. After the wreck was cleared I proceeded on to deliver my load and headed to the West Valley Terminal as instructed by Safety. My truck was red-tagged awaiting repairs and after waiting several days for an accident review, I was given a chance to appeal. I explained what happened in painstaking detail to the safety department, and was advised I would be placed on a 1 yr probation, but due to the amount of damage caused in the wreck it would be labelled as preventable..I agreed at the time, happy to keep my job.

I was assigned another truck, and spent several hours moving my belongings over, and the next day passed a defensive driving course and was road tested. The instructor who road tested did not like the way I was shifting the truck, having an 18 speed transmission, I was unfamiliar with the shift patterns, but otherwise said I did a good job. I was assigned a load, ready to leave the terminal, and went in to check with Safety for clearance to leave. I was told at this point that my job was being terminated and told "You knew this was coming" I was devastated. I packed everything I could into 2 bags and asked for a bus ticket to Conley, GA to collect my car. I was provided with a bus ticket but this was taken out of my last paycheck.

Upon arriving in Conley, GA, I spent 2 days going around Atlanta area trying to find another job, after being unsucessful I decided to head home to Fort Myers, FL. On the way back I was running I75 South. About 60 miles from the state line started experiencing car troubles, I lost power and my car was throwing flames from the exhaust. I determined that the timing belt had jumped and damaged the valvetrain. I idled along the shoulder until I ended up in Tifton, GA, where I spent the next month at a rescue mission, until I could work up the money to pay for a ride home, leaving my car at the rescue mission.

I got home around 4/30/2013 and I have been looking for a job ever since. My car, left in Tifton, GA has since been repossessed, voluntarily, as I could not afford a new engine.

I am trying to find my way back into the trucking industry, but my experience with Central has left me with 3 months experience, my DAC report branded with "Unsatisfactory Safety Record"
No company I've applied with will hire me, and although I was offered a job with another major carrier, they will not hire out of Southwest FL due to freight availability. I have looked for non trucking jobs but have not had any success. I have included some pictures from this unfortunate incident. I apologize to anyone who was adversely affected by the equipment failure that caused this wreck.

If there is ANYONE out there that can help me find a job in trucking, I would greatly appreciate the assistance. I don't know what else to do other than put this experience out there.....

I am not in any way asking for handouts. I have been working for a temp agency for a month or so and while work is sporadic I am getting by...
















4 comments:

  1. Wait, so you did the right thing by not driving in unsafe conditions, dispatch bitched you out and told you to drive (with a predictable end result which you couldn't avoid), and then they fired you for driving in unsafe conditions?

    My man, you're a better man than me; I'd be livid and probably raising a ruckus to no end...

    Hope things get better for you, don't give up on your dream either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not giving up. I do feel like an idiot for letting this company take advantage of me but putting this story out there. Mainly hoping a carrier sees this and is willing to hire me.

      Delete
  2. You should have stood your ground on that refusal to operate in unsafe conditions. Asking you to operate under those conditions is absolute ly illegal under dot regulation. Had you reported it to the fmcsa youd not only still have your job, but central would be kissing ypur ass every additional step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish that at the time I would have thought of the FMCSA.

      Delete